Sunday, March 16, 2014

Gluten Free Hamantaschen

Hey hey it's hamantaschen day!! 
Gluten free style of course ;)

I modge-podged four different recipes and tweaked them, so this one's my own!

Here we go:

::Dry ingredients:: 
(mix together in a seperate bowl)

3 cups of gluten free all purpose flour (with a rice flour base)
2 Tbs of corn starch 

::Wet ingredients::
(mix together in a seperate howl)

8 Tbs (organic/RBH-free) salted butter
3/4 cups agave nectar (I used raw organic)
1/3-1/2 tsp of citrus zest (I used clementine!)
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbs lemon juice (you can try orange!)
2 (organic, free range) eggs

You will also need:
*fillings of your choice! I used cherry preserves, grape jelly and strawberry preserves
*an additional egg white  to brush on top of the pre-baked cookies
*optional = topping. I used a vanilla bean infused sugar sprinkle 

Considerations:
*the batter should be firm but pliable upon mixing.  
*if it's not a consistency that looks good to you, play with it a bit - add liquid, add flour blends. Each gluten free flour mix is slightly different, so be flexible!
*also - refrigerate your dough so it is firm before rolling it out on floured parchment paper!

Bake: 
350 degree Fahrenheit
12-15 minutes 


Here are the pics:






Round 1 (cherry) were a little sloppy, although delicious nonetheless. The next batch was grape so I tried to tighten the triangles a bit ...


Even with the tighter triangles, the were still a bit gooey. Yummy, but gooey. (The kids didn't mind!!)

They still look nice (notice the vanilla bean infused sugar sprinkles!)


Onto Round 3 - strawberry 


I really tightened up the triangles here to reduce the ooze factor. It worked!!


Pretty pretty!

I also brushed egg whites over the pre-baked cookies each time. Pic below:


There was a teeny bit of extra dough so I made two tiny hamantaschen pies ;)


These won't last long here! These were a WIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment